Just picked the last of this years tomatoes, think I might make a small batch of chutney to use them up.
We had our first peas for dinner tonight, they were tasty.
Hooray, I’ve finally got some peas growing. With any luck they’ll be plump for picking soon.
Other success in the garden - I have one green cherry tomato, lots of flowers but just the one fruit! C’mon toms I want to eat you.
Well the Honeysuckle is full of flower despite severing it’s tap root & a happy bee is busying away taking its’ pollen.
The Basil seems to be doing well & they’ll live permanently outside sometime next week.
Jobs in the garden today:
Transplanted stock, chilli & pepper seedlings into larger pots ready to go outside when the sun’s shining.
Cut back old clematis & acer branches.
Kept the cat away from the bee.
The Basil seedlings were looking healthy and ready for repotting so they’ve been transplanted into ‘grown up’ pots tonight. I’ll be placing them outside in the day & bringing them in at night for a few days until they adjust to the outside world!
The nasturtiums & peas are doing well and should be flowering this month, and there’s already a flower on one of the tomato plants so hopefully there will be fruit coming soon (fingers crossed).
The stock seedlings are about a week away from potting-on. The chillies and peppers are finally showing seedlings too although the spring onion still isn’t showing signs of life - not sure if they take a long time to germinate as I don’t have the seed packet anymore, not to worry I think I’ve got enough to be getting on with.
The howling wind and drizzly rain have kept me out of the garden most of the week so there’s not much to report except we’ve started eating the salad leaves. It’s been great to be able to have food on the doorstep so long may it continue.
I’ve been given four young tomato plants which I’ve re-potted so I hope we’ve still got some salad left when the tomatoes start appearing!
I think the Basil seedlings are almost ready for re-potting too so I’ll be doing that in the next week.
The rain has been good for the plants but I hope we get some sunshine soon so I can tend to my plants again.
Salad leaves - two weeks later and just about ready for harvesting.
Jobs in the garden today…
Removed weaker Basil & Stock seedlings from the propagators to allow stronger ones to grow on & raised lids to give them more room.
Raised the height of the string holding the peas in place as they’re getting taller.
Tidied up the beds from leaves and wood chippings to allow sunflower seedlings to break through the soil.
Read up about maintaining my Acer & climbing Rose.
Unfortunately my other propagater hasn’t been so successful and has turned a bit mouldy. I think I’ve overwatered this one so I’ll leave it to dry out over the next few days and hopefully it’ll recover.